Cheese Book Giveaway
So here’s a little challenge. If you were going to create a local cheese plate to represent your state, what would it look like? If you live in Florida, would you serve cheese with alligator? If you live in New Mexico, would you pair local cheese with a dusting of Hatch Pepper?
I’m asking you because I am devoting the month of July to a special endeavor. I want to create a United States of Cheese Plates.
Do you want to play along?
You can win a copy of my new cheese book, The Di Bruno Bros. House of Cheese: Wedges, Recipes, and Pairings. (That’s me holding a copy.)
The good folks at Di Bruno Bros. have offered to donate 48 books – that’s one copy for some lucky cheese lovin’ soul in each of the contiguous U.S. States.
The winning cheese plate from each state will receive a signed copy.
To enter your state cheese plate in the giveaway:
- Create and photograph a cheese plate/board that you think represents your state.
- Please use products made in your state – you can usually find local cheeses at your farmers’ market or local cheese counter.
- Your cheese plate can be as wild or as simple as you like. It can include local beers/wines or a homemade jam. Or, you might use locally prepared items…pretzels, popcorn, boiled peanuts from your fave roadside stand. Sky’s the limit: you can create a recipe, or simply assemble your best snack plate.
- Email a photo* of your cheese plate, plus a description of the items on it (a paragraph or so will do), to me, Madame Fromage, on or by July 31, 2013. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure to include your name and mailing address!
Winners will be showcased on the Madame Fromage blog this fall. If you’re a fellow blogger, I’ll be happy to link to you.
Tips to get started: Visit a local farmers’ market for ideas. Ask about local cheeses at the cheese counter where you shop. To develop a pairing, visit a roadside produce stand, look to your garden, investigate local honey, consider indigenous ingredients (fruit, nuts, herbs, grains) or iconic prepared foods (Alligator jerky? Sorghum syrup?). Imagine: If a gaggle of cheese freaks were to visit your state, what would you serve them?
*Tips for photography: Try to shoot a photo of your cheese board in natural light. You can use your camera phone, no biggie. If you want to be in your photo or have your friends’n fam in the photo, awesome!
Judging: Selections will be made based on creativity, uniqueness, and primary use of cheeses and ingredients from the contestant’s state.