Come on a Cheddar Odyssey!
If you’ve ever wanted to travel to cheddar country and stay in a manor house, get out your duffel. In late September, I’ll be off to Somerset, England for a week-long cheddar tour centered around traditional British cheese and drink. Here’s the best part: four of the six nights, we’ll stay at North Cadbury Court, the manor house belonging to James Montgomery (below), maker of Britain’s premier cheddar.
The house, which has been in the Montgomery family for years, has 21 rooms and was used in the filming of Jane Austen’s Persuasion for Masterpiece Theatre. But wait, there’s more. The land around the house is believed to be the original Camelot. So you can eat cheddar in Camelot — how is that for a pairing?
This odyssey is presented by Cheese Journeys, a company headed by Anna Juhl, a former cheese-shop owner and the matriarch of a U.S. cheese family involved in importing great European cheeses. Juhl’s collaborator is Chris George, formerly of Neal’s Yard Dairy in London. Chris and his wife are expecting this fall…which is why Yours Truly is stepping in.
Somerset and London Cheese Tour, September 22-28
- 6 nights in England (4 nights at North Cadbury Court, 2 in London)
- Tastings of cheese, wine, cider, wild beer, and whiskey
- Feasts prepared with local ingredients, including period recipes
- Visits with cheddar legends James Montgomery, Mary Quicke, and Tom Calver of Westcombe cheddar
- Day trips to markets, cheese shops, and a local smokery
- Gastronomic workshops led by makers, sommeliers, and experts in the field
For pricing, a full itinerary, and booking information please visit Cheese Journeys.
Photo credits: Chris George