Publication date: May 2013
Back in 2005, I stumbled into Di Bruno Bros. as a homesick Wisconsin transplant in search of sharp Cheddar. What I found behind the counter of Philadephia’s largest cheese house changed the way I viewed dairy forever. I met a hairy band of cheesemongers who were keen to talk about raw milk and lactic fermentation the way some people talk about baseball. Within a few weeks, I committed myself to tasting every cheese in the store and blogging about it.
Over five years, I scribbled notes, played with pairings, and nibbled my way through the entire stock – first as a customer, then as the store’s resident blogger. Our mutual affection turned into a book project, and I’m so proud of our collaboration: Di Bruno Bros. House of Cheese: A Guide to Wedges, Recipes and Pairings (Running Press, May 2013).
- Powell’s Books
- Jessica’s Biscuit (signed copies)
- Barnes & Noble
- 170 cheese profiles, 30 recipes, and 10 themed cheese boards
- Every cheese profile includes pairing ideas for beer, wine, cocktails, and snacks
- The introduction, “How to Pick a Hunk,” tells you everything you need to know about buying cheese
- Cheesemonger Notes, by Hunter Fike, offer inside scoop into artisan producers
- Luscious full-color photos by Jason Varney; food styling by Carrie Purcell
Philadelphia City Paper (Meal Ticket blog)
MainLine Today (Main Course blog)
The Philadelphia Inquirer (with Craig LaBan)
For book events and signings, look to the “Events” tab at the top of this blog.